In a world of instant information, constant contact, social media, and over-scheduling, it’s important to make sure that you are including some things that make you happy. Here are some of the things that I make sure I do each day to ensure happiness.
- Take time for yourself. Everyone needs a little time each day to regroup, take a breath, organize your thoughts, find your center – whatever you need.
- Exercise for at least 30 mins. Trust me on this one, it pays off! Get out and go for a walk, stretch or do yoga, lift some weights, bike or swim, something. Anything! Your body will repay you with less stress, better sleep, less aches and pains, maybe even a little weight loss or get some muscle tone!
- Drink enough water and eat a variety of healthy foods. In addition to working your muscles everyday, you need to give them the right fuel and enough hydration. Everyone has different dietary needs and restrictions, so I can’t tell you what to eat, but use common sense. A variety of healthy foods with proteins, lean fats, essential vitamins and minerals are easy enough to find in affordable fresh foods. In season fruits and veggies, oatmeal, whole grain pastas and rice, almonds and pecans, black beans, lentils, chick peas, and kidney beans are all inexpensive and available at most grocery stores.
- Take care of your teeth. Common sense, right?
- Brush your hair, get dressed, clean your face. It seems obvious, but there are some days that I know people don’t even want to do this. I recommend that, on those days, you force yourself out of bed and into your bathroom. While you’re in there, brush your teeth and wash your face. At that point, you’re almost there! So run a comb through your hair, put it in a pony tail if you have to, and get your yoga pants on. You are now all teed up to stretch or exercise! You can do this!
- Get outside, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Fresh air does wonders for your body and for your mind. I live in the Northeast, so some winter and early spring days are difficult to get outside. I still bundle up and get outside, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Here is a link with some interesting facts Good Relaxation about getting outside: https://goodrelaxation.com/2012/01/health-benefits-of-fresh-air/
- Get enough sleep. This can be the hardest thing to do everyday. Our days are so packed full of things to do, places to go, people to see that it is hard to unwind and fall asleep sometimes. Also, I am that mom who likes to stay up about an hour after everyone else is in bed. It’s when I like to prepare my to do list for the next day, read, write, or just have a glass of wine with my thoughts. A good night’s sleep is essential, though. Adults need about 7-9 hours of sleep each day; Teenagers require 10 hours of sleep; Kids under 13 need almost 11 hours of sleep! Sleep will improve your mood and ability to handle stress, help maintain healthy weight, boost immune system, steady blood sugar, and improve athletic performance. Here are some more random benefits according to SensorGel on getting enough sleep: https://sensorgel.com/benefits-of-sleeping-well/
- Read. Whether it’s news, novels, magazines, comics, whatever, just read each day. Reading expands your world outside of your day-to-day. Reading exercises your brain and your imagination. Reading can increase your knowledge, vocabulary, and memory, as well as analytical thinking skills. There are even studies out there showing that reading will help decrease your chance of getting Alzheimer’s Disease. So grab something to read and get reading!
These are just the things that I do to make my day happier. They are not mandatory or in any particular order. What are some of the things that you do make it a great day?